Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Best-Worst

My favorite poem was "Daddy" by Silvia Plath.  I really liked this poem because of the authors attitude and emotions in the poem.  She did a good job at drawing you in and making you feel the pain that she felt. She really put you in her shoes, even if you hadn't experienced what she went through in the poem, she made you feel like you could relate to it somehow.

My least favorite poem was "The Colonel."  I didn't care for this poem because it was very dark and depressing.  I also feel like it was more of a story than a poem.  It reads like a very choppy short story, not a poem.

My favorite short story was either "Popular Mechanics" or "The Lottery."  I enjoyed both of these stories because they kept you excited and grasped your attention.  They both make you want to read till the end to find out what happens.  At the end they both leave you the same way.  They don't tell you exactly what happened, but you have a very good assumption.  I like when stories make you think like that.

My least favorite story was "Bartleby."  I did not find this story to be entertaining when I was reading it.  It seemed to drag on and on without any real story line.  The best part was the ending, but it took forever to get there. I think the story would be more powerful if it was shorter and more to the point.

"Death of a Salesman" was a pretty good play.  It was hard to follow at some points because I couldn't tell whether he was having a flashback or if he was in the present, but overall I thought it was entertaining.  I think it was a good play to watch, especially when we could compare it to the movie.

I thought watching the Hollywood versions of  "Death of a Salesman." and "Bartleby" was very helpful.  Any parts of the stories I didn't understand when I was reading them was cleared up when we watched the movies.  It brought the stories to life and made them make sense.

My favorite in class activity was working in small groups.  It's more helpful when you are working with only two or three people rather than the whole class.  I felt like we could get a lot more done and go at our own pace.

I really liked the blog entries.  It was probably my favorite part of the class. It gave everyone an opportunity to "speak"  and share their thoughts.  It also made us come out of our comfort zones and really think about the things we were reading.


1 comment:

  1. "The Colonel" is a tough sell. It makes for a heated discussion on what is and what isn't a poem ;)

    ReplyDelete